Since 2008, Capitain Petzel has presented exhibitions by established international artists, represented by the galleries Galerie Gisela Capitain, Cologne, and Petzel, New York. Charline von Heyl, Christopher Williams, Monika Sosnowska, Laura Owens, Sarah Morris, and Wade Guyton, amongst others, have realized ambitious solo exhibitions, developed on-site in the exceptional space in Berlin-Mitte.
Additionally, the gallery is developing an autonomous program with artists such as Andrea Bowers, Matt Mullican, Peter Piller, Amy Sillman, and Sanya Kantarovsky. Capitain Petzel offers an extraordinary platform to the gallery artists, made possible through the unique collaboration of Gisela Capitain and Friedrich Petzel at the Berlin site.
We are currently seeking a full-time Gallery Manager (Sales Office) to join our team.
The role will include, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
· Reporting to the directors, you will play a key role in overseeing all office and front-of-house activities in a team of full and part-time staff.
· Manage preparations for exhibitions, events and art fairs.
· Collaborate with the teams of Galerie Gisela Capitain, Cologne, and Petzel, New York.
· Create, send and follow up on proposals, exhibition dossiers and online viewing rooms.
· Respond to press requests and implement the gallery press strategy for each exhibition.
· Work closely with the artists to assist in the development of their international profile within institutions and museums; visits to artists’ studios will be part of this role.
· Represent the gallery at exhibition openings, events, and art fairs.
· Oversee sales procedures and documentation; populate external sales platforms.
· Manage all gallery's social media channels and lists of public exhibitions.
The successful candidate will have the following skills / experience:
· 3-4 years’ experience working as a Gallery Manager or similar position in a contemporary art gallery with 1-2 years devoted specifically to sales.
· University Degree in Art History, Culture Studies, or a related field.
· Understanding of the market conditions and the most important players in the German and international art and collector community.
· Experience of working in a fast-moving office environment.
· Comfortable working with tight deadlines, budgets and expectations.
· Strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to focus on multiple projects simultaneously and experience of staff management.
· Diplomatic, with a professional mindset.
· Self-driven, self-motivated, and a proactive approach.
· Proficiency using Mac operating systems, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and InDesign.
· Pronounced interest in contemporary art.
· Excellent communication and writing skills in German and English.
· Fluency in French a plus.
Please send your application, CV, cover letter, and writing samples to: